Emergency Surgery Course (ESC)
The Emergency Surgery Course® is a joint initiative of the European Society for Trauma & Emergency Surgery (ESTES) and the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST).
ESC® aims to aid surgeons in non-trauma emergency surgery by providing the know-how and the decision-making skills necessary for daily practice. The course consists of theoretical sessions, case scenarios and state of the art videos. The course is especially designed in an interactive format from the beginning till the end.
The course is divided into two parts:
- the first consists in several theoretical, didactic sessions, designed to provide the basic steps for adequate and timely diagnostic and decision-making;
- the second, video-based, designed to provide tips and tricks to improve the skills of the general surgeon to deal with surgical emergencies.
In sum, the ESC has the following goals:
- Confront surgeons with every day and problematic emergency scenarios
- Provide concrete answers and guidelines for questions emerging from these situations
- Hone the decision-making skills necessary to manage preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative issues