The „Polytrauma“ section was initiated in 2015 in order to provide a body of evidence for several aspects of interdisciplinary trauma care.
Since then, several projects have been initiated and are ongoing:
- Damage Control Management in the Polytrauma Patient April 2017
- (Springer, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-52429-0_10)
Endorsed by ESTES
- Polytrauma courses (www.polytraumacourse.com)
The courses have been held at the annual meetings since Frankfurt and have a growing response in terms of responses and participants. During the Prague meeting, an online voting app has been used successfully for the first time and proved affective in stimulating discussions.
The course was successfully recertified in 1/2019.
- Free Polytrauma APP (search for POLYTRAUMA)
The APP has been developed in 2016 and is available for Android and IOS. It is free and demonstrates all relevant scoring systems to be used in the emergency room and thereafter.
- Consensus meeting “Indications of damage control”
In 2018, a new initiative has been discussed among experts during the Zurich Polytrauma course (9/2018) and an expert group has met twice 3/2018 in Frankfurt and 5/2019 in Prague.
New initiatives as decided during the section meeting 2019 in Prague:
– Trauma systems and trauma documentation are an important aspect in Europe, as several networks and registries exist. In this light, the new S 3 guideline will be assessed by the group in order to find out which differences exist regarding other European countries, due to the trauma system issues.
The slides of the first section meeting can be downloaded here.
Existing guidelines can be downloaded here.